Sunday, August 4, 2013

Shots. Shots. Shots.

It turns out that there are a lot of diseases in Peru that they don't have in Duncan, Oklahoma, so I have to get a seemingly eternal number of shots before I head out.  All of my friends living in Utah can just go to their local health clinic to get all of their foreign shots like yellow fever, meningitis, etc.  I called my health clinic and they told me that I have to go to a travel health clinic for those shots.  Excuse me..a what?  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  So I found the closest travel health clinic (which happens to be an hour and a half away from my house) and called to find that the total cost for my shots would be over $500.  Holy guacamole.

My mama and I decided instead to have them done at the Army base 30 minutes away from my house...for free--having military base privileges can be so convenient.  We had to separate my shots into four trips.  I have done two so far.  Only two to go.  The first time I went, they gave me Brother Bear stickers and a lollipop.  Pretty much made my day. :)  Definitely felt like I was six again, but it was so worth it.

The second time I went, after they gave me my three shots for that week, they had me sit out in the lobby for fifteen minutes to make sure that I didn't pass out...hmm sketchy.. I was fine so I left after just a few minutes. I was okay until about 4:00 when I started getting really sick.  Stupid yellow fever.  At least now I won't get the real thing because just the after effects of the vaccine were pretty miserable.  

Now I just have to hold out for two more trips to the base so I don't die of a deadly disease when I go to Peru...in only 38 MORE DAYS!!    
           

No comments:

Post a Comment